Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mommy Me and Moving



Originally uploaded by Airchinapilot

I spent time with my mommy. I am a grown woman but I still get excited to spend good quality time with my mom. We are both busy and have a hard time getting together even though we live about 20 minutes from each other. It does not seem that long ago that I my interest in college was based on the distance away from home. The further it was away from my mom the better. I can only laugh at myself now knowing that his is a just a normal part of growing up. I have always loved my mom and have nothing but nice things to say about her.

My mom was engaged to my dad when she was 17 years old. Her freshman year in college she made an doctor's appointment so start taking birth control pills, but during that appointment she found out that she was pregnant with me. My parents got married and moved into an apartment, and I was born. At my parent's were both 18 when they had me and as you can imagine times were hard. I'd like to think of myself as daddy's and mommy's little girl. I love my dad with all my heart, but I loved spending time with my mom. I loved watching tearjerkers with her, cooking with, gardening with her...anything she did I wanted to be right there.

I'm sure she would not agree. She tells me that the fist night that she brought me home I slept through the night, and was that way for the rest of my childhood. The first day she took my to school she tried her best to prepare me for what was going to happen. She would have to leave me with some very nice teachers but that she would pick me up and take me home everyday. She knew that I could not understand and worried that I would cry and beg her not to leave. So she took me to school and at the door reminded me that she would be back and I said, "okay mommy, see you later." I was so focused on playing with the other kids that I did not notice my mom crying in the doorway. Mom tells me about how she had to watch me like a hawk because I'd love everyone and she knew that I would leave with anyone who would have me.

As a teenagers it was sometimes difficult to be around her. I did not know how make my own decisions and I felt controlled by her; I knew that with a significant distance between us I would mature. That's the main reason why I wanted to go to a school in Alabama but only made it to Ohio. Not that far away from Michigan but it was the perfect distance. I'd visit home often but I was still able to make my own choices. This was great for us and she became my best friend. There was no longer tension in our relationship, instead I was call to talk about any and everything. For the first time I could openly talk about sex, school and secrets. Being friends with your parents is better than a peer relationship because she had already been and give great advice. I was able to trust her more because she seemed to respect me as a young adult. I loved to bring my friends home to her because I knew that nobody had a mom as cool, down to earth, smart or fun as my mom. I wanted to share the wealth and did so as she let anyone I befriended call her mom.

Now mom is talking about moving to another state to find a new job. I want her to go whenever she needs to go to find success, happiness and hopefully love but I don't want her to leave me. Though I don't see her as much I'd like to I know that she is always a phone call away. I find myself daydreaming about being able to by a mansion that can house my whole family, everyone having their own wing but a huge kitchen and living room so that we can all spend time together. I told my mom of my desire and she smirked and said I need to be at least a two blocks away from you. What a role reversal, my mom would not allow me to go to Alabama because it was too far away, now she seems open to moving to Canada. I feel like I miss her already even though she is still close to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment